Friday, August 28, 2009

Charlie Brown

So, I tried out for "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" the other night. This is my first official Broadway show that I am trying out for...or should I say "off-off-off Broadway show". Anyways, it's broadway music as opposed to opera/oratorio/art song. And I went in and sang like I usually do, with a little operatic flair, but still expressive and somewhat like these singers are "supposed" to sound. But no belting. Which, believe me, was there some belting going on with the other auditionees whom I could hear very clearly through the paper thin wall that separated the waiting auditionees from the one actually auditioning at the time.

I sang a slow ("Not while I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd) and an upbeat song (Vanilla Ice Cream" from She Loves Me) and then they had me called back in to do a reading for Sally Brown (the soprano in the musical). I did ok on that...not really sure what they thought. I was going for a superiority complex, and they asked me halfway through to be more indignant, so I changed it a bit, and they said "good!" and let me go...without finishing the reading. So, not knowing what that meant, I left.

And got an email today, saying they want me back for more dancing and acting. But I had indicated on my contact sheet that I couldn't make callbacks (Jon and I have free tickets to Tanglewood to see James Taylor), so the director emailed me to say she realizes that and will still take me into consideration for the show. So. There it is.

Whatever happens is what it is. I don't know if I want to do this... there are a LOT of rehearsals and the show is the couple weekends before Thanksgiving. About 4 rehearsals a week. Which I can only make 3 if I get in. Which means, not much time with Jon (Jermeiah would be asleep by the time I would have to leave for rehearsals). But...I'm taking this as an opportunity (again, if I get anything) to stretch and see if this show (opera/musical) thing can consistently happen, or if it's just too hard. I need to be singing and building my resume, and it can't be all concerts and recitals. Plus, even if I don't get this role, it was good to audition. I need more experience auditioning...I still get way too nervous. And I need to know what type of people these other singers are. I am very different than many of those people. Most of them are college age and pretty self-focused. I am married with a kid and working a job with benefits. But, we all want to sing. So, that's something to keep in connection with the rest of these crazy people who are trying to get roles. Like me.

I'll update when I know more.

No comments: