Thursday, October 15, 2009

backwards thinking

I saw a little bit of "So You Think You Can Dance?" last night - there were in the weaning stage...trying to eliminate enough dancers so there were only 20 left...the 20 best, supposedly. The bit I saw had about 4 dancers, and one that they had highlighted for us to be "rooting for" as an audience. After he danced for the judges, they were not very pleased, but told him to keep practicing and come back again another time.

He completely broke down. Tears streaming down him face, trying to not sob uncontrollably in front of the panel and his peers and America, and not being all that successful at it.

One of the judges told him in no uncertain terms that he was not helping his career by doing this. He needed to toughen up and find some inner strength if he wanted to make it in this business. And then he said something that struck a chord for me:

"You need to not care so much." When he said that, the boy was finally able to pull it together.

I can empathize...I've been wondering if my problem all along has been that I care too much about this dream. If only I could not care...I would excel. That seems backwards, but maybe there's something to that.



2 comments:

sarah marie said...

This is a really interesting idea. Yesterday I was practicing and just freaking out about my intonation in a certain passage that's difficult to get in tune. Nathan told me he thought I was worrying too much about it, so I tried playing it with a metronome so I was more focused on my rhythm than on worrying about intonation. When I played it with a metronome, 9 times out of 10 it was in tune without me worrying about it. Interesting!

Jen said...

That's a good idea, too - to focus on another aspect of your technique to get your mind away from stressing. I think my problem is I don't know how to turn my emotions off. If I could figure that out...auditions and performing would be that much easier.

But, then again, would it be a good audition/performance as far as expressive quality? It's a blurry line.