Saturday, October 10, 2009

"Laud to the Nativity"

I've been asked to sing Respighi's Laud to the Nativity for a Christmas concert in early December. I had never heard of this piece, although I had heard of Respighi in Music History class ages ago. When I was first asked, I youtubed the title and heard a random choir performing...and was unimpressed. Today, after receiving the score and a cd to listen and learn from, I am very impressed. This music is beautiful! I am very excited and eager to start working on it, especially since it needs to be memorized for the concert.

There are three solo characters, as well as a choir and small orchestra. I am Maria, or Mary, who sings last. The mezzo is always the mother. Or the boy. Or the witch. :) But it is really a nice part - it really spans the range and I get to really sing. It was described to me as a "real Marilyn Horne type of singing piece"...which is not my voice because she can be a real beast...but I think I can make it work.

I've been watching too much Project Runway. "Make it work."

No comments: