Wednesday, December 30, 2009

M.M.Ed.

I have to get my application in for my Masters.


This is a little overwhelming. But I think I'm just letting myself be overwhelmed...this is do-able.


Here's what I have to do:

- write a paper on my philosophy of music education and why music education is important to the public school system. (I'm actually really into this...just insecure about my writing style and trying to sound cohesive and intelligent.)

- videotape myself teaching a lesson. (this might be a little harder to pull off, but I'm going to try to enlist the help of some of my friends. Then there's the chance the taped lesson falls to pieces for any number of reasons...we'll see.)

- apply for financial grants/scholarships (doubt I'll get any, but it's worth trying)

- fill out application (I love this part. Something so thrilling about filling out a simple form. I know, I'm a dork. I love Staples too.)

- find some people who would be willing to recommend me, and see if they can write one up in a month. (That's not a lot of time for a recommendation.)

I know there are a few other things in there as well, but I have to get this done and in to the program by Feb 1. I'm not really freaking out yet, but starting to think about it. I actually really like deadlines, because it makes me get some things done, but man, is it stressful. I don't eat, I sleep less, I type more, I agonize more over every time anyone has every told me I'm not good at anything pertaining to anything I'm trying to accomplish.

Just do it. Who cares, right? What does it matter how others perceive me? I'm doing this because it is dream God has given me. I do like to teach. I do think it's important to educate young people how to be artsy and creative. And I think God has given me some tools to do it somewhat well. There's a lot to learn though. I have to find my grounding in Jesus, not in others' high and low opinions. They are just His creations too. Just like me. I guess I just need to do the work set before me.

So, on to philosophizing about music education...

No comments: