Wednesday, March 31, 2010

hard core

I have an audition scheduled for a collaborative ensemble group called C______ in the Boston area. The woman in charge of the Aria Sing I did recently recommended I audition for it. I emailed for info, and the director emailed me back to schedule an audition for me. Only then did I read the forwarded email that the Aria Sing lady had sent me:

"We need a hard core mezzo for our upcoming fall concerts...we are doing Copland's Creation and there is a Mendelssohn piece with some alto solos in there as well. Let me know if you have any suggestions!"

Um...am I a hard core mezzo? Some might say so...I say maybe if I could ever get my nerves under control. And my lower register in gear. But, I know and love the Copland Creation. I don't think there's a chance that they'll give it to me if anyone else good enough is auditioning, simply based on my inexperience. But, it will be good to audition, so I will do my best.

A wonderful man who sings baritone gave me some advice during the Aria Sing about nerves during auditions. He seemed so at ease and comfortable up on stage (and, by the way, he wasn't the best voice I had heard), so I asked him how he learned to let the nerves go. He said someone told him once to remember that no matter where or what you are singing, audition or performance, that everyone there is wanting you to do well. They want to hear you make music and hit the high note and soar. So, just allow yourself the freedom to all be on the same side and know whoever's listening is rooting for you.

Easier said than done, but good advice.

No comments: