Sunday, March 28, 2010

W.O.W.

Sang in W______ Opera Works' Aria sing today. It was interesting, about what I expected, pretty casual, some good talent, some not so good. All of it you can listen and learn from. The pianist's name was Olga (OLGA!) and she was phenomenal. Loved her.

I sang "Va! laisse couler mes larmes!" from Massenet's Werther, and the Seguidilla from Bizet's Carmen - two French arias that I am very comfortable with, and thought I could really try some new audition techniques out on a fresh, non-critical audience.

The Massenet went well. I was much more nervous than I thought I would be, but I still got through it. It is such a drippy-romantic-tragic aria, and it is gorgeous. I am proud to say that I think I am finally making the connection between breath support and my low notes. Jon has been helping me connect what I feel to what it sounds like. Basically, I don't need to push so much, because (according to him) the sound is more there is I just relax and let it be there. Even through the nerves, I felt I was able to do this. And sing the pianissimos with support! yay!

The Carmen characterization went well. I got a lot of good response from the audience with that. Jon says my singing became unfocused for that piece though. I was a little more nervous for it than the first one. I always do that...once I stop singing, even to start again, I am shaking the worst. But, I am proud that I am moving more freely on stage.

All-in-all, a good day. I was asked by the director of WOW to come back and be a part of their Summer Concert Series and their spring production, Die Fleudermaus! Hopefully it will work with the Master's schedule.





No comments: