Wednesday, October 13, 2010

So, how did the performance go?

I can't believe that I haven't posted about my performance of "In the Beginning" with C_________ this past September. I guess it hasn't been in the forefront of my mind since it happened.

I felt really good about the whole performance. Except for nerves affecting the first phrase ("In the be-gggginnnning" - it was a bit wobbly), I felt confident and that I sang really well! It was a major accomplishment for me to get over my nerves, since that's been my battle from the beginning. Everyone in the group was so supportive and kind, and I got a lot of positive feedback from the director and people in the audience. I realized that this is the sort of thing that fits very well in my life right now (concertizing), since I do not have the time to devote to shows with a family at home. It just is not realistic. What is also fun, is the choir I'm with, Lyricora, gives me a lot of solo opportunities as well, so it helps me get more well known through them also (hopefully more as the group becomes more well-known over the years).

I should be able to get the recording for "In the Beginning" in a couple weeks, from what the director told me. That makes me nervous for a couple reasons...first, the afterglow of feeling so good about this performance could be totally eradicated from listening to me sing with a critical ear, and second, the choir backing me was really sub-par for this piece. They are, as I said, a wonderful group of people, but really not suited for such a difficult acapella piece. So, there are many wrong notes, many wrong chords, many wonky things going on...but, c'est la vie.

My family was out for the performance, and quite a few of my friends came too, which really touched me. I felt really supported through the whole thing. And Jon, who is pretty honest with me, thought I sounded the best I had in a while. So, very pleasing. :)

No comments: