Thursday, January 06, 2011

Christmas and a new year

I love Christmas.


Have I mentioned that before? :)


We had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends this past month, complete with loads of decorations, candy, classic movie-watching, church-going, concertizing, cookie-making, laughter, story-telling, wrapping-wrapping-wrapping, oh, and shopping. And shipping! We had about 2-3 packages arriving a day from various locations nationwide at our place.


We had about 12 people here on and around Christmas day. This included 3 children, which just made all the fantastic-ness of Christmas even better. What a wonderful gift to see holidays through childrens' eyes!

My child was a little overwhelmed, but oh so very happy to have SO many people around to talk to and snuggle with and other little ones to play with. He is still working on understanding and responding appropriately to people and friends, and I have to say that everyone was very patient with him. It is hard to always feel like I need to explain to anyone that comes in contact with him that he is not developmentally able to respond the way they expect him to...yet. There is great hope for the future that he will learn and develop quickly now that he is getting the help he needs. But, the friends we had here needed little to no explanation...they were able to accept and talk about it with me with no worries. That made a somewhat stressful month not so stressful when I was home.

On Christmas Day, we left for OKLAHOMA, as previously posted. It was actually somewhat pleasant flying with Jeremiah this time...although I can't say I genuinely enjoy flying with young children. My sister-in-law does it all the time, and she has 3 under the age of 5! I don't know if she has it in for herself or what...anyway, Jeremiah slept on both of our connecting flights, so that made things easier. That, and he was finally NOT SICK! yay!!

It was great to see my family in OK...my mom just loves seeing her grandson and is really looking forward to who she deems "Jemimah." You see, she (along with almost everyone else who voices an opinion) thinks this one is going to be a girl. We've elected not to find out, so the jury's out on this one. I thought Jemimah was a funny name for it right now though. We went out for sushi, saw a lot of amazing light displays, visited Lake Tenkiller, shopped for maternity clothes, watched new movies, played lots of video games, and spent some quality time with my folks and brother. All-in-all, a relaxing trip.

And, we come back, and Jeremiah has started his new preschool. He likes it there, and is getting used to us dropping him off every day...although he cries a bit. It's good for him, but it is strange having the house to myself for 2 mornings a week. I only do this because he needs the therapy that the school can offer him...and this school has a great reputation. We'll see where we're at by the end of the year.


New Year's resolutions?

1. Jon and I have started Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University program, and are loving it. It is not easy, but it is so great to be getting our feet under us financially and being responsible. We are going to really solidify our budget, debt, and saving plans throughout this year, so we are in perfect harmony by next Christmas.

2. I am committing to pray at least 20 minutes a day. There are so many people in my life that I care about and occassionally get frustrated with, and wish I could show love to daily...and I don't pray for them. That is something that is the most important thing I can do for my friends and family. It's a little embarassing to say that I don't so this so much now, but I've just gotten out of the habit of it. I know God can do powerful things, so I'm going to be giving these people over to Him regularly again.

That's it. Nothing fancy, but very practical. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas season, and are having a great start to your new year. I think it's going to be a good one!



1 comment:

sarah marie said...

Jen, I didn't realize that you're expecting another - congratulations! That's so exciting. I had to comment about the name "Jemima" - my dad actually wanted to name me Jemima when I was born! So I laughed when I read your post because I don't think it's a very common name these days. It has a nice Biblical history (and is better than Job's other daughters names of Keziah and Keren-Happuch, haha) and also conjures up the cute little girl in 'Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang' in my mind.

However, my mother thought it made people think of the maple syrup lady, so she went with Sarah instead. :)