Monday, September 26, 2011

Mandela's thoughts on being a light

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a Child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Nelson Mandela's Speech by Marianne Williamson

I. LOVE. THIS.


I'm not even sure how to think about it yet, as far as if I really really agree with it or if I just think it's nice to ponder...but it is amazing, regardless. Great food for thought, and he is such an inspiring man. That was one who lived without fear.

Unlike me. I think this quote strikes me because it is just what I tend to think most times. I have actually practiced playing the ditz and bumbling fool just so others who seem awkward will be put at ease, like giving them something to laugh at to ease tension - often at my own expense.

I struggle with shyness, which is at odds with the performer in me. I think, "Who am I to put myself out there as a singer worth listening to? What will they think I think of myself to think I'm a good enough actress to be on the stage? Who do I think I am?"

Well, Mandela has made me think.

"...who are you not to be?"

If I truly believe God has given me gifts, why shouldn't I shine for His glory? If others are attracted to it, it will only be their attraction to the light of God in me. It would be akin to the servant burying the talent in the ground to "not" shine. Who do I think I am? I am His child, whom He has created. I am God's. It's hard to keep pride at bay, but with God's grace, I can be a light where I am planted

No comments: