Sunday, October 30, 2011

Let's talk about voice for once!

Yeah...haven't posted about voice for a while because, um...I haven't been singing.

There's been the occassional solo for church, and of course, my choir, Lyricora...but nothing beyond that.

And what's worse, is I haven't been practicing either.

So, needless to say, I've been in a bit of vocal limbo...self-imposed for a few reasons:

1. I just had a BABY. Pregnancy was not fun for my voice, and I can't even begin to describe how tired I am by the time I have time to work on my personal music studies. So, it's gotten pushed to the side until I have "time".

I am beginning to realize that there may not ever be a convenient "time" for me to do it anymore. I simply have to start making it more of a priority.

2. My voice seems to be changing. What else is new, right? I feel like I just keep gertting lower and plummier as the years progress...which is kinda fun, because I still have high notes. It's just that I think I'm sounding more and more like a true mezzo now.

But this time around...this pregnancy - I am having an easier time singing in the bottom of my range, and it seems bigger down there too. I'm cautiously excited about this...cautious because I don't know what the heck I'm doing with it half the time, and I still want to make sure I'm singing well.

Which brings me to the biggest news of the moment - I have begun the search for a new voice teacher! Yes, I've talked about it long enough, and now I have 2 trial lessons set up with a few teachers to see if they're a good fit for me.

One woman is a dramatic mezzo who began by singing at the Met for 20+ years. Yeah...that'll be a fun lesson in getting over my fear of failure in front of someone who's a billion times better than I'll probably ever be. I just hope to convey my willingness to work and hope she likes working with me.

The other woman is an older soprano who actually gives "tuneup" lessons to the mezzo above on occasion. She comes highly recommended from a few of my friends who take with her, and our email interaction has already shown me that she has quite a bit of spunk.

Both these lessons are next weekend. I've begun singing more, brushing things up and hoping I don't make a fool of myself. I know it's seemingly insignificant for some, but this is a big deal to me, and I would love for one of these teachers to work out - that they would understand my situation as a homemaker and yet my desire for bettering my voice. I would appreciate your prayers if you wouldn't mind! I want to make a good impression and not waste the money...these lessons are not cheap!

In other news, I have a solo in one of Lyricora's songs for our Christmas concerts. It's pretty modern, a piece called "The Rose." I'll write more about it later...it's weird, yet fun. I've also been asked by our church's music director to sing some solos in their Christmas cantata. Not sure what they are yet, but that will be something else to look forward to.

It's been a while in coming, but I'm excited to get my voice back in shape!


No comments: