Thursday, November 17, 2011

short thoughts....and Carmen.

A couple of days ago, I received an email from a singer-friend who I met a few years back at one of the summer concert series I participated in with the G______ W__________ Opera company. She asked me,

"Have you seen that we are putting on Carmen in the late spring? We would love to have you come audition, and have a few hidden slots available on Sunday. Let me know if I can count you in."

Here's what I thought (in sequential order):

"Um....what?"

"I think I just got a personal email asking me to audition for one of the ultimate mezzo roles."

"This is not practical."

"I don't have time for this."

"But I really love Carmen."

"But I've been told multiple times that I lack the chutz-pah for Carmen."

"Hmmm...and then there's my new voice teacher."

"She told me that Carmen doesn't really suit my voice either."

"Well, what would it hurt to audition?"

"I could at least have something to shoot for, and then not do it in the event they offer me anything of significance."

"They're probably just asking me to come out of politeness."

"That's absurd. No one would ask a singer to come unless they really wanted them to. There's too many singers out there to be nice."

"I live an hour away; this is stupid."

"Well, everything I would audition for is about an hour away."

"My kids need me. I have no time or energy to do something for myself at this point."

"Ok, if Jon can be with the kids, I'll do it. But I'm not saying I'll definitely do the show."



With that thought process, my mind was made up. (made up?...please tell me you all think in this roundabout fashion...that I'm not on my own here.........hello?)

We hashed out details, as I am unavailable Sunday.

So, I auditioned last night at 8:52.

Which was actually 9:05 because they were running late.

Which was nice, because...so was I.

Man, it was stressful driving all the way there -

- in the rain -

- while speeding profusely -

- and trying to warm up/talk myself out of this mess...(see above conversation)

Yeah, I was a bit of a psycho. But I got there, and feel I did decently well.

The audition coordinator told me that they did need more mezzos auditioning, but also contacted me because of my voice.

And then she said the accompanist they had scheduled for tonight had to cancel last minute and there was someone in there that "was not familiar with opera rep."

"Great."


I was singing two pieces, Carmen's Seguidilla and "Must the Winter Come So Soon?" from Barber's Vanessa. Neither is that easy to play, even if you know opera rep.

I went in, sang the Seguidilla fairly well, then mucked up the English (partly because of it being the newest piece in my rep, partly because the pianist had zero clue what was going on, so I had to flounder...)

They asked me to read two small scenes. One was of Carmen and Don Jose, right before the Seguidilla, the other was of Carmen and Escamillo. Both were her trying to be seductive, yet aloof.

That's totally me.

Not.

Do people say "not" anymore? I don't think so. I only do in my head.

And this blog.


Anyway...


I felt pretty good about the reading.

The audition coordinator told me she thought I rocked the reading.

That was nice...considering I had to try to be seductive and aloof, which, as we've already established, I'm awesome at.

I left feeling like maybe I was a better actress than a singer.


The nice thing is that the rehearsals don't start until April and the show isn't until June. And they are only 2 times a week, max.

Actually sounds do-able to me.

I could be dreaming...but it's nice to have dreams. And nice to have something of only my own to be working toward.

We'll see what comes of it. I'll keep you updated.

And don't tell me new voice teacher. Good thing you don't know who she is! :)

And now, for your viewing pleasure...a great video I found of Rinat Shaham singing Carmen. It gives the scene leading into the Seguidilla, as well as her famous song that seduces Don Jose.



No comments: