Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Resolutions: Jan update

January was a good month for me. Not only was I less busy than I normally am, I feel somewhat accomplished in my resolutions. Here's the update on how I'm doing (as in, maybe I'll actually stick to them if I write about it and feel ashamed in my failures while others reading about it. Or maybe not...I don't tend to care about what other people think about the "little" things in my life...although some of my resolutions have to do with big things...anyway, on to accountability!)


1. learn to garden

Yes...so it's still winter here, although the weather today would have convinced anyone it was the beginning of spring (50s!?!), so no gardening yet. But...I have picked out 3 books about gardening from the lady of the house's collection and am slowly but surely learning all about soil acidity vs. alkinity (not sure that's the real word, but too lazy to look it up right now), why hydrangeas turn blue vs. pink, and how to not rot out your roots in the wintertime. Amongst other fun tidbits that will hopefully help me grow something.

2. begin exercising again

This is exciting...we joined a local gym yesterday. That's right, january 31. Which, of course means that we haven't gone yet, but I'm excited to figure out how that's going to happen and just start. I'm planning on at least 2x a week at first, then maybe up to 3. I think more than that is unrealistic with the kids.

3. bake bread at least 2 times a month

So, I did bake bread once this month, and it didn't rise. But it tasted really good. Yes, we eat everything around here, even if it doesn't turn out. And, I'm counting the fact that I made my husband's family recipe of whoopie pies as well, because it was really messy and time-consuming and made lots of whoopie pies. Or, would have made lots of them, except I made them really large since I didn't have instruction of how big to bake the pie part...so they ended up as large as the span of an adult hand. So, I think that technically counts as two times a month of baking bread. (ok, maybe not, but at least I got flour-y and messy)

4. Create a sitting area in my room where I can sit and read.

has not happened yet. Tried to bring a nice chair upstairs to our room...it does not fit up the stairs. Without a chair, I feel unmotivated to work on the rest of the area.

5. Get up before family to do said Bible reading and prayer.

Still not happening. Very sad.

6. Not eat fast food.

This is the most shameful to admit?! I ate 3 munchkins that my friend had brought over and then left even though she knew I was trying to not eat fast food. And I ate a #5 crispy from McD's. With a sweet tea. Boom. Well, there's always february to try again.

No comments: