Thursday, March 01, 2012

Never Stop Learning

This article about opera singer Angela Meade is great.  She's a singer who has rather quickly grown from an unknown to a relied upon artist with such companies as the Met.  Her interview is full of some great advice, my favorite being:

"Dream big, work hard, be over-prepared, be vulnerable, take risks, and never stop learning."

My big reminder is to be over-prepared.  So often I do just enough to not be disappointing to whoever is on the other end of the job I'm doing.  I'm just not a perfectionist...no matter how I try to be sometimes, I am not.  I have very high standards on many things, but I am not a perfectionist.  Sometimes that manifests itself in me being okay with my best being 80%.

What I love is the "be vulnerable, take risks" combo.  How hard is that?  Yet that is so much of life, if anything is going to be worth it.  Especially in singing. 

No comments: