Thursday, April 05, 2012

minor keys in heaven


I just finished reading a book called "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo.


If you have never read this, it is astounding.  Jesus-believing Christian or not, it is, I think, a must-read for everyone who has ever wondered if all this talk about heaven is for real.  This little boy was 4 years old and had major surgery.  Afterward, his parents started hearing him describe images of Jesus and heaven that were completely accurate to scripture - along with some things that just are amazing to know.  Read it and see what you think. Takes about 2-3 hours (at least by my reading speed...)

One thing that this little Burpo boy says is "There is no crying in heaven."  I was thinking about that when I was in church last week, and there was this gorgeous hymn we were singing called "Wondrous Love."  It's in E minor.  Got me thinking about music and mood and emotions in heaven.  Minor keys tend to portray meloncholy, brooding, foreboding, anger, mystery, and a whole host of other things that are not usually "happy."  Will there be minor keys in heaven?

I don't know what I think about that.  There will be singing and joyful noise and worship and angels heavenly voices.  I think I might miss it if there weren't minor keys, as some of my favorite songs to sing are in minor, or a similar mode. But, if I'm honest, I usually like those songs because I need to process some things that are unpleasant and they help me with that...so maybe in heaven I won't have to process so much negativity (or any negativity) and I won't want the minor...who knows.

All we know is that a 4 year old said there is no crying in heaven.  He also said Jesus had the most beautiful eyes.  I can only hope that someday I will see them. 

No comments: