Friday, May 25, 2012

Resolution Update

I know, I know...you've all been dying to know how I've been doing, right?


Thought so.  :)

1. learn to garden

(triumphant music playing...) I bought tomato plants today!  And some basil.  And I put them in my front garden.  And I weeded...or, began weeding one of our formerly-beautiful-yet-now-atrocious beds, and I think it's going to take me all week (as if I had all week) to get it looking somewhat decent...and then there's another atrocious bed on the other side of the house.  I mean, like, super-embarrassingly weedy.  Like, I don't know what's a weed and what's a real plant because the weeds have made themselves comfortably huge.  Mortifying.  Anyway, so I have learned to weed, learned to transplant, learned to dig out unwanted plants, and am officially trying to grow tomatoes.  I got the kind called "Best Boy"?  They seemed fine, hopefully now there are no tomato-growing vets out there laughing at me.  And if you are, I DON'T CARE!  :)  I'm growing tomatoes!

 
2. begin exercising again

Hmm...well...I had been exercising...about 2-3 times a week in Feb, and it was great!  And then March happened and a certain baby got sick and we were in the hospital and then I threw out my back, I think because of the hospital stay and then I never really recovered my mindset enough to go back.  And then I got real busy with this opera thing.  So...hmph.  My membership ends in 6 days, so there ya go.  Oops.  But, hey, it's nice out now, so now I can run outside! I like that better, it's less commitment.  Just up and go.

3. bake bread at least 2 times a month

Ok, so I have baked bread officially....once.  And it was good!  But, here's the other thing...I started making our own pizza from scratch...the crust is getting better each week, as I figure out the whole yeast thing.  So, I think that sorta counts. If it does, I've been making bread about 4 times a month!

4. Create a sitting area in my room where I can sit and read.

I created one!  Do I sit and read in it?  No!  So...my conclusion is I don't like my sitting area.  And, when I'm honest, I don't.  I want a loveseat type area or a big one and a half chair...and my little rocker is not so much.  Trying to be content, but I'm usually not with that one.

5. Get up before family to do said Bible reading and prayer.

I'm not doing it as often as I would like, but I am now reading my Bible more regularly again.  It's so good.  Praying usually happens before bed or while I'm in the car coming home from rehearsals.  That, too, is good, as it is forced time alone with God, if I let it be.  So, I'm not getting up early...no, no, no.  I'm not sure that will ever be me.  I'm just too dang tired before 8am.  But, I am reading and fellowship-ing again.

6. Not eat fast food.

This one has been the most groundbreaking resolution...not only am I not eating fast food, but Jon and I have decided to change the way we're eating pretty drastically.  It wasn't really a crazy lose-weight decision or health-concious decision...it just made sense to me - maybe mostly because of the kids.  I recently finished reading The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin.  In it, he outlines his brush with death after he was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, and his remarkably journey back to full health.  He developed the Maker's Diet, which is based on God's instructions to the Israelites in the Pentateuch on what they should and should not eat and how they should take care of themselves. He says that the Standard American Diet has too much processed stuff in it, and we're basically slowly poisoning our bodies, which is why we all tend to get so many diseases and illnesses.  Our bodies were not equipped to handle the things that are put into food today...anyway, I don't need to expound on all of it.  It just made a lot of sense to me, and he has a lot of research to back up his findings.  So...we've been slowly making the transition to eating this way, which honestly, was a way that I was finding myself inclining toward anyway.  It's been about 2 months now of eating more or less 80-90% Maker's Diet and both Jon and I feel more energy and in general better than we had...not that things were bad.  And the nice thing is...it's not all that different from how Jon and I like to eat anyway.  We like meat, we like veggies and fruit - the biggest change has been going all organic and eating sprouted grains.  I would encourage you to look into it if you're interested...it is still something we are figuring out, but it's kinda cool.   

So, progress has been made!  And good thing too...as it's almost June...




No comments: