Tuesday, May 01, 2012

tuesday thoughts

Yesterday, I took the day off for my son's semi-annual checkup at Children's Hospital. He is about to have his Kindergarten screening next week, which means that he will, indeed, be a Kindergartener soon. Oy vey. How did this happen? No one told me how fast they grow up.

What a roller coaster it has been with this one. J. has been the most profound lesson that God has ever taught me. He has been and continues to be the most honest conversation God has with me on a daily basis. His developmental disorders have been hard not to see as devastating. It has been years of trusting that he is not really my child, but God's. How is that possible, in our society, to learn that my child, that I birthed, is actually, (hopefully, one day, please God) my brother-in-Christ? How can I be trusted with such a task as raising one of His own? How is it that God would choose me, of all people, to raise such a lovely, pure, joyful human who is seen as "non-typical" by most, but who I tend to think might be "most true" to God...why me, with the selfish career agendas, high sense of drama, and pent-up emotions? I try to not to view these things in light of myself, but sometimes...that's all I know. All I know is to be selfish, even in my mind, until God begins to transform it. And He does. All I need do, is look to His Son.

"He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him." Isaiah 53:2 (NIV)

Jesus knows what it's like to be "non-typical." He was the ultimate of that, I think. In the best way, but people didn't know that then. May God open my eyes to what He wants my son to be. What He wants us to be for Him. How I can serve His kingdom by serving my son's needs. Amen.

71. joyful smiles when I arrive at home

72. a warm enough house in this drafty May Day.

73. organic veggies for a yummmmmmmy soup

74. dutch ovens. wonderful things

75. classes who are captivated by a simple voice shift (a russian accent today = quiet classes)

76. different translations of His Word (lately, I like "The Message")

77. challenging vocal repertoire (listen to this)

78. no more Monday rehearsals...for now.

79. a lovey little 4 year old who likes to be sung "Goodnight my Angel" for bedtime

80. a baby who sleeps through the night. (I know, I've said this before, but it bears repeating.)



2 comments:

Catherine said...

Watching the boys grow up this year has been amazing! Fascinating. They are so incredibly different. I know what you mean about lessons because spending more time with J. has shown me I have a lot to learn; right now, parenting seems like the biggest and hardest and most rewarding job in the world.

I love how he words things - it makes me stop and think! I can't believe he's starting kindergarten. Crazy.

Simply Hope and Grace said...

I just finished this book. :)