Saturday, August 25, 2012

What if it's not ok...

This post has given voice to what I've been thinking lately.  Not for any particular reason, just because God's will and providence have been on my mind.

I particularly like this:

"If you listen carefully, if you follow the logic, you will see it. God’s favor associated with the outcome. Perhaps that’s comfort to the healed and their families. Perhaps it’s a good story for the Sunday morning meeting. But one man’s salve is another man’s sore.

What if God fails to orchestrate the proper cure at the proper time? What if he stands to the side, seemingly idle, while the innocent go to the grave? What if the proper providential miracle is conspicuously absent? Does that mean that God was absent, that his hand was too short to save?"

Have I been expecting God to answer all my prayers for my children with "yes"?  If He decides not to heal, not to give comfort - is He wrong?

Are they really mine?

One family in our church recently lost a young daughter to drug use.  I didn't know them very well, but keenly felt the devastation through our church body - it was a difficult time.  The Sunday after her death, the mother sent a message with one of the elders to tell the church body, "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord.  Thank you all for your prayers."

I cannot fathom such a response, but hope that I will someday be able to trust God's providence in such a way.  He loves my children more than I can ever hope to, and has their best in mind.   His best for them might not be my best, but I need to pray for more trust.

No comments: