Thursday, October 11, 2012

A wormhole of sickness

Oy, what a couple of days. A week actually...we have been in a sort of time stand still called 'the flu"...or at least something that resembled it an awful lot.

Fevers.
Aches.
Coughing (lots of coughing).
Whining.
Lethargy.
Occasional puke.
Wheezing.
Nearly sleepless nights.
Needy children.
Needy adults. (Myself included)
Calling in sick to my entire week of school.
Jeremiah not going to school all week.


Not. Fun.


But, there are a couple of bright things. Jon has something called "reading week" at seminary this week so he did not have to be at class! Even though he is pretty sick too, it is nice to have another adult around to share the moaning and whining and coping with. And it has been so nice to have cuddle time with my boys while they feel rotten...especially Isaac who seems to never stop long enough for me to cuddle him unless he is met by an unfamiliar face or is feeling sick. So, trying to focus on the positive.

Also, I've been trying out a few new things lately, mostly due to our sickness...home remedies and whole food living stuff. Here's what we've tried:

Garlic and honey. Did you know this is a natural disease fighter? You can take this several ways...we have been swallowing it whole like a pill. Even Jeremiah tried it, although he was a bit distraught with the "onions" as he called them. You put some honey on a spoon, finely mince a raw clove of garlic, put that on the spoon, then put more honey on the spoon, then down the hatch! It really is not too bad, although Jon might beg to differ. There have been many people on the web saying this is a great preventative thing for illness and disease...I want to try this recipe soon (although hopefully we Won't get this sick again anytime soon!)

Vinegar. On our noses, in our ears, on our counters. I've found it helps to un-stuff my nose, which is nice. But really burns when your nose is raw...in which case I put some coconut oil on my nose, and that was really nice. It has helped that rubbed raw feeling your nose gets when it's been running for a day or so.

I've been making bone broth for us to be drinking...it's a cool concept, I'll let you know how we fare this winter with it. It's always simmering on the counter, and at the end of the week, you throw it out and start a new batch. It's supposed to leach out the gelatin and vitamins and minerals and such from the bones of whatever meat you're using, and that's good for you...it tastes good and is so nice to have something warm whenever I want it. And it only costs .03 cents an hour to run your crockpot.  So they tell me.  I'm gullible, so I'll believe it. Until I get a monstrous electricity bill!  HA!  (I hope that doesn't happen).

Sprouted/soaked grains. This is a whole other post, but I'm trying it for the first time right now. Soaking the flour tonight, cooking pancakes tomorrow. Maybe I'll let you know how it goes. " Maybe" only because I don't really update this super frequently, have you noticed?

Honey instead of sugar. We've pretty much cut out all white sugar (which includes brown sugar). Instead, we use honey, maple syrup, fruits, agave nectar, and stevia. I'm not totally sold on this one yet 'cuz I need to do more research (like, isn't cane sugar natural too?) but for now, it's nice not feeling so sugar crazy all the time.

So, that's our week. Oh, and Jeremiah's full on reading now. And Isaac can open the fridge. And Jeremiah's favorite movie is Toy Story 2, which we may or may not have watched a half dozen times since 4 days ago. And Isaac says "no", "school", " '-Miah", "apple cider" "go!", "bottle" and about a dozen other things, usually very emphatically, which would be cute if it wasn't 3 in the morning.

But, gosh my kids are cute. I am grateful for this week to observe them.

We are going to try to have tomorrow be a 'normal' day. Here's hoping!

Here's some fun for ya...my kiddos at the local Fair recently:








No comments: