Friday, February 14, 2014

a broken heart

Ok, so I know I haven't posted for a while, and honestly, I've been finding it hard to post recently...it's not easy to feel you've put yourself out there and can't take it back and what if it makes people think ______ about you? Anyway...February breeds my meloncholy sometimes.

But, here is something I came across that I would like to share, if you haven't read it already. I repost quite a few things from Ann Voskamp, with her inspired "prosetry" as she calls it. She has posted something on her blog today that struck me as very wise, with things in it that I have been slowly, ever so slowly, trying to learn over the 8 years of being married to my love.  A few lines in particular pinged my innards:

"You have been brave and let yourself love. Which means you’ve let your heart be busted and banged up and this has kept you tenderized and soft. I am sorry. I. am. sorry.

What else would have kept us alive and real and from growing hard?

They didn’t tell us that at the beginning: The moment you let love into your heart, your heart starts breaking. The only way to stop your heart from breaking is to stop your heart from loving. You always get to choose: either a hard heart or a broken heart. A broken heart is always the abundant heart — all those many beautiful pieces only evidence of an abundant life."


...you've let you heart be busted and banged up and this has kept you tenderized and soft...the moment you let love into your heart, your heart starts breaking...a broken heart is always an abundant heart...

This was life-giving to read and ponder, because I have known heartbreak, and it is excruciating. I think it is safe to say that no one wants it, and I would never wish it on my worst enemy. But to think of it as a part of loving - that this side of heaven, no one can love you perfectly and you can't love anyone perfectly, save God Himself - and that with love comes the tenderization of heartbreak and humbling of disappointments and sacrificing of ideals for another soul's affection...it puts it a bit more into perspective.  It keeps us receptive to love!  And that is a very good thing.

Thank you, Father and Christ, for loving me perfectly, and knowing me perfectly, even as I am so very imperfect. Thank you for the patient family and friends you have placed around me. Help me to love them well, for they love me as I do not deserve.

1 comment:

Becky C said...

Love reading anything she writes. This is terribly true, but in a comforting way it's nice to know that all husbands and wives are broken together. At times it does feel very much one-sided, and I forget that I'm not the only one in my marriage that can hurt.

Thanks for posting this - always a joy to read what you write :)